Every Blooming Thing

Today was one of those blissful early summer days with a soft, fresh wind and green-ness blooming in the light. Even the stinging nettles looked glorious in the sun. Days like these, in England, are, for me, as perfect as they get and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
I lay on the grass and revelled in Edward Thomas' Adlestrop which never loses its beauty, precision and scale, and then I discovered a wonderful, evocative poem - Stone Villages - by the late soviet poet Joseph Brodsky, from In England.
Here it is - http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/stone-villages/
And as I ran in the sun later I thought of Patrick Kavanagh's Inniskeen Road: July Evening and the lines that stay with me - 'A road, a mile of kingdom, I am King/Of banks and stones and every blooming thing.'


Comments

Popular Posts