Someone somewhere (!) once suggested that if you ever doubt the human spirit, go and watch a marathon. As others have said many times, there is a wonderful triumphant atmosphere among the runners and the spectators in the London marathon. It's more than the sheer quantity of those taking part, although that is, at times, overwhelming. It's something more ephemeral and powerful and to do with collective striving and encouragement. I have been following the sad story of Claire Squires, the runner who died in the last mile. As I write, donations to her chosen charity, The Samaritans, have now topped £629,000. Every time I refresh the page, they go up. A case of collective action snowballing into profound expression. The human spirit in action. I have just re-read this blog post and realise it sounds like a headteachers' slightly pompous assembly! But hopefully you know what I'm getting at ...

Comments

Popular Posts